Fansidar (sulfadoxine + pyrimethamine) is a 500mg +25mg syrup of 15ml. It is used as an antimalarial agent.
1 pack of fansidar contains 15ml syrup and an inner leaflet.
Each 5ml contains:
Sulfadoxine (USP) 500mg
Pyrimethamine (USP) 25mg
Dosage and administration:
- Curative treatment of malaria with a single dose.
Adult: 15ml (3 teaspoons)
5-10kg: 2.5ml (½ teaspoon)
11-20kg: 5ml (1 teaspoon)
21-30kg: 7.5ml (1½ teaspoons)
31-45kg: 10ml (2 teaspoons)
- Prophylaxis of Pneumocystis carinii infections.
Infants and young children: 40mg/kg (based on sulfadoxine content) every two weeks.
Precautions: Not to be used by patients with a known history of hypersensitivity to sulfonamides.
Therapy and prophylaxis of malaria.
- For the treatment of P.falciparum as long as the infection occur in the area with chloroquine resistance.
- For the travellers to areas where chloroquine resistant P.falciparum malaria is endemic.
- In infection with Toxoplasma gondii and in the prophylaxis of pneumonia due to Pneumocystis canii.
Fansidar can cause feelings of fullness and stomach pain. It can cause headache, dizziness, mental confusion, alopecia, hearing disturbance and muscle weakness.
It is contraindicated in the patients of folic acid deficiency anemia, neutropenia and decreased bone marrow function. It is also contraindicated in patients with decreased liver and renal function.
Keep all medicines out of reach of children. Shake well before use. Protect from light and heat. Store below 30°C.
To be sold on prescription of a registered medical practitioner only.
Fansidar is manufactured by Martin Dow Limited. https://martindow.com
To buy fansidar online, visit the link given below: https://nexthealth.pk
By: Kainat Noor